POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : wrong report about max_gradient : Re: wrong report about max_gradient Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: wrong report about max_gradient
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 19 Nov 2001 06:41:54
Message: <3bf8f002@news.povray.org>
In article <3bf8df16$1@news.povray.org> , "R. Suzuki" <r-s### [at] aistgojp>
wrote:

>> Warning: The maximum gradient found was 184.775, but max_gradient of
>> the isosurface was set to 1988.679. Adjust max_gradient to
>> get a faster rendering of the isosurface.
>
> I think only the sentense "Warning: The maximum gradient found was 184.775."
>  is enough for the evaluatation result.

The problem is that many people don't read the documentation and then
complain about "holes and other bugs" with isosurfaces (see several messages
in these groups).  I would also prefer a shorter message, but as long as
many people who use a free software cannot be asked to read the
documentation before reporting something as a bug this message is a
inconvenience that has to be forced upon all users :-(

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde