POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : plane normal ?? : plane normal ?? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 04:16:51 EDT (-0400)
  plane normal ??
From: MR
Date: 18 Nov 2001 11:28:25
Message: <3bf7e1a9@news.povray.org>
hello,

i've got my camera sitting a little ways off in the -z area, and
looking towards z positive infinity.  i've put a plane out there
for a sky, plain black right now.  i would expect the normal to
be coming out of the surface i'm viewing, which, in my mind,
would make the normal -z.  but i notice that i only get the sky
color as black with a normal of z.  its grey with a -z normal.
here's the sky code:

plane
  { z, 1000
    pigment
      { color Black
      }
  }

the camera:

camera
  {  location   <1, 1.5, -6>
     look_at    <0, 1.3, 0>
     angle      45
  }

could you straighten out my thinking here, please?  why isn't
the normal  -z?  heck,  it could be argued that -z and z are
the same, since they are both perpendicular to the surface.
but if thats the case, then why do i get different results with
my render?

thank you, miker