POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Black outline in smooth meshes : Black outline in smooth meshes Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Black outline in smooth meshes
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 17 Nov 2001 09:50:54
Message: <3bf6794e$1@news.povray.org>
The outline of smooth meshes exhibit black dots or areas. Apart setting a
high ambient value, I haven't found a way to make them disappear.
This is of course related to the fact that smoothness is simulated. Another
related artefact is that facets can be visible too. However, while the facet
problem mostly goes away when the resolution of the mesh is increased, the
black outline problem can be quite visible even with hi-res meshes. It can
become very annoying when the mesh has a light texture (such as skin) and is
set on a light background. I had to touch up images a few times due to this
: artefacts that were lost in the antialisasing at 800x600 became
conspicuous at higher image sizes. The editing is not very easy either, as
the dots are pure black.

See the examples in beta-test.binaries. One is with a low-res mesh sphere,
the other with a high-res mesh sphere.

This is an old problem, so bringing it up at this stage here may seem quite
late or even unappropriate. Anyway, as it's likely that 3.5 users will use
meshes more often, I wonder whether there could be fix (or at least
workaround) for it.

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com