POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : vanishing point ?? : Re: vanishing point ?? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 04:19:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: vanishing point ??
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 15 Nov 2001 17:37:33
Message: <3bf443ad@news.povray.org>
"MR" <a### [at] bnet> wrote in message news:3bf00a23$1@news.povray.org...
> hello,
>
> i have a question but i'm not exactly sure of the terminology.  i've
> got a scene looking out a window to a sky plane.  i've carpetted a
> lot of the ground, the x/z plane, with gilles's grass, but i want the
> horizon line higher than what it is.  isn't the horizon line something
> similar to a vanishing point in a perspective drawing?  can't it be
> adjusted up or down without tilting or repositioning the camera?
> maybe not.

Widen the field of view of the camera (lower direction or higher angle or
change right & up) and crop the image in a drawing software. If you are sure
you won't reconsider the left-right borders, you can change only the up
vector and the +h output option. To gain some more speed (if the render is
slow) do not render the added image part on top (partial image rendering
with +sr).

For example :
if your camera is the default 4/3 one and you currently render in 800*600 ;
if you want to raise the horizon by 150 pixels :
To raise the horizon by 150 pixels, you need to render 150 more pixels in
the bottom of the image. As the horizon won't really move, it means you will
also need to add 150 pixels in the top of the image. In other words, you
have to extend the image symetrically. So the total height of the image has
to gain 2*150 pixels = 300 pixels.

+h900 ;instead of +h600

Now you have to change your pov code (if you render with just the +h change
all you will get is a stretched image). You have to tell pov you want to see
more in the vertical direction :

up 1/600*900*y // instead of the default 1*y

I know it isn't very clear... I hope it helps,
If it doesn't, questions will help me to explain ;-)

Povingly,

Philippe