POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Headers in crater.pov and crater_dat.pov : Re: Headers in crater.pov and crater_dat.pov Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:21:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Headers in crater.pov and crater_dat.pov
From: Bob H
Date: 13 Nov 2001 00:24:27
Message: <3bf0ae8b@news.povray.org>
"Anders K." <and### [at] f2scom> wrote in message
> > > When I try to use a PNG with 16 bits per color as a height field, why
> does
> > > POV-Ray say, "Warning: Converting PNG image map to 8 bits/sample from
> higher
> > > bit depth."?
> >
> > Good question.  Maybe a damaged PNG image?
> >
> > Can anybody confirm such a message with any other PNG image?
>
> In fact, I can reproduce it simply by rendering this file:
>
>   // cmd: +w400 +h400 -a +fn16 +otesthf
>   camera { orthographic location z look_at 0 right x up y }
>   plane { z, 0 pigment { gradient x translate x/2 } finish { ambient 1 } }
>
> which creates testhf.png, and then rendering this:
>
>   height_field { png "testhf.png" }

Ron has said it is broken in some way, I guess... well maybe not broken,
judging by the conversion message, but at least not possible for now.

Think I understand all this more anyhow, I was pretty sure my image software
is too feeble to decipher 16 bpp images so I'm convinced of that.  I'll look
for stuff that can read image info better.

Bob H.