POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Headers in crater.pov and crater_dat.pov : Re: Headers in crater.pov and crater_dat.pov Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:22:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Headers in crater.pov and crater_dat.pov
From: Anders K
Date: 12 Nov 2001 20:50:24
Message: <3bf07c60$1@news.povray.org>
> > When I try to use a PNG with 16 bits per color as a height field, why
does
> > POV-Ray say, "Warning: Converting PNG image map to 8 bits/sample from
higher
> > bit depth."?
>
> Good question.  Maybe a damaged PNG image?
>
> Can anybody confirm such a message with any other PNG image?

In fact, I can reproduce it simply by rendering this file:

  // cmd: +w400 +h400 -a +fn16 +otesthf
  camera { orthographic location z look_at 0 right x up y }
  plane { z, 0 pigment { gradient x translate x/2 } finish { ambient 1 } }

which creates testhf.png, and then rendering this:

  height_field { png "testhf.png" }

Anders