POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : max_trace_level problem : Re: max_trace_level problem Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:17:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: max_trace_level problem
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 12 Nov 2001 14:48:51
Message: <3bf027a3@news.povray.org>
In article <slr### [at] fwicom> , Ron Parker
<ron### [at] povrayorg>  wrote:

> Nope, a Win32 stack has a "reserve" size and a "commit" size.  The loader
> allocates address space for the "reserve" size, but it only actually maps
> memory for the "commit" size.  It then marks the page just below the
> commit as Not Present and waits for it to fault.  When it faults, the OS
> maps another page into the address space

But it cannot shrink the stack this way.  So once you have a stack that is
i.e. 100 MB you have to restart the application.  I think the same problem
exists under Unix.  Unless, of course, you have a system function to shrink
the stack "manually".

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde