POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Alpha problems: text is not antialiased : Re: Alpha problems: text is not antialiased Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:24:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alpha problems: text is not antialiased
From: Alex Falappa
Date: 8 Nov 2001 11:51:26
Message: <3beab80e@news.povray.org>
"Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> ha scritto nel messaggio

> What you probably refer to is the visual difference if you look at the
> antialiased borders of any object (there is nothing "special" about text
> objects) they look "lighter" if the alpha-channel output is on and the
image
> is presented on a (nearly plain) background taking the alpha channel into
> account.  This is simply because both the color and the alpha channel are
> antialiased and thus the resulting borders where antialiasing is used look
> different.

So why the lower part of the blue box gets correctly antialiased?

>I know this doesn't look perfect or wrong, but it is the way
> antialiasing works.  Try it with a dark background and you will see the
> effect change as it should...

I've tried setting a black background, no change.

Personally I believe Warp (in the other thread) is guessing something
correct by saying POV doesn't antialias cause interprets the transparent
background being black. Infact if you change the color of the lower text
object to a more saturated one (red for example) it gets antialiased in both
cases.

Alessandro