POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Alpha problems: text is not antialiased : Re: Alpha problems: text is not antialiased Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:27:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alpha problems: text is not antialiased
From: Warp
Date: 8 Nov 2001 11:13:46
Message: <3beaaf3a@news.povray.org>
: I tried both, and I don't see a problem other than the one described - in
: the Mac version the user can turn on and off the alpha-channel preview of
: the image in the preview window (since 3.1).  So I can see the imae witha dn
: without in direct comparison easily.

  When I render the example scene without +ua, all parts of the the text is
antialiased equally.
  If I render it with +ua (and antialiasing method 1), then the part of the
text which has only background behind it doesn't get antialiased (while the
part which has the boxes behind does). The preview of POV-Ray shows clearly
this and when I open the resulting image with Gimp, it is identical (that is,
the edges really aren't antialiased in those parts).

  I'm using the unix version (yes, it supports preview taking into account
the alpha channel, as the Windows version does), but I suppose that the Windows
version works in the same way (I suppose that the original poster is using
that).

  However, I think the problem seems to be somewhere else. I tried putting
another black object in the image (a cylinder) and it didn't get antialiased in
the lower half of the image either.
  It seems to me that the color of the objects has something to do with this.
If I make the cylinder and the text red, then they get antialiased.

  Could it perhaps be that the antialiasing routine thinks that the background
is black and thus doesn't perform antialiasing with black objects?
  This is specially curious since the background is specifically set to white.
Put perhaps the +ua has some effect here.
  It's also curious why it works with +am2.

--
#macro N(D,I)#if(I<6)cylinder{M()#local D[I]=div(D[I],104);M().5,2pigment{
rgb M()}}N(D,(D[I]>99?I:I+1))#end#end#macro M()<mod(D[I],13)-6,mod(div(D[I