POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : .NET distributed POV : Re: .NET distributed POV Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:22:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: .NET distributed POV
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 3 Nov 2001 12:02:31
Message: <3be42327@news.povray.org>
In article <3BE4206F.DE285497@geocities.com> , "Jon A. Cruz"
<jon### [at] geocitiescom> wrote:

>> .NET, contrary to what the anti-Microsoft press would lead you to believe,
>> IS very cross platform.  That is the beauty of it.  I'm still learning about
>> it, but basically you can write in any language.
>
> Well....
> Yes and no.
>
> Yes, the language of .NET is supposed to be cross-platform. The exact same way
> the OS of WindowsNT/2K/XP is supposed to be cross-chip. Of course, how many
> chips is XP shipping for? Alpha? PowerPC?...
>
> And the same way that NT 3.5 and NT 4 had pluggable filesystem support. But
> how long was it before Microsoft added a FAT32 pluggable filesystem for
> cross-OS support? Can you say "never" boys and girls?
>
> Anyway, the language is cross-platform, but the key libraries are not. That's
> a gotcha to keep your eyes on. Even if someone else clones them, you still
> have compatiblity issues like with WINE.

Especially as there is a well-established way to communicate over a network,
and it comes with two very common APIs of which either is supported on every
platform you can hook up to the Internet:  Sockets or Streams

And you can run any light-weight high-level protocol over them.  After all
the last thing desired is slower rendering because of a slow (=bloated)
protocol running over a modem connection so all render servers are only
waiting...

    Thorsten