POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : .NET distributed POV : Re: .NET distributed POV Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:27:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: .NET distributed POV
From: Ben Martens
Date: 3 Nov 2001 10:33:14
Message: <3be40e3a$1@news.povray.org>
This is great.  Thank you for all the advice (and I'm always open to more!)
I just wanted to address the .NET question...

Chris wrote:
>> .NET? Cross Platform? I didn't think these could be held in the same
thought.

.NET, contrary to what the anti-Microsoft press would lead you to believe,
IS very cross platform.  That is the beauty of it.  I'm still learning about
it, but basically you can write in any language.  Those chunks you make from
different languages can all interact in the same program seemlessly.  This
is because .NET compiles to an intermediate language.  After the program is
in that intermediate language, any platform with the .NET framework can run
it.  Obviously they the Windows one is already working.  I know a Linux port
is in the works, and I think a Mac one may be finished already(?).  It's
really very neat technology. As I mentioned, I'm just starting to learn, but
the bottom half sounds similar to Java.  Except that this actually works.
Sun had so many chances with Java but screwed them all up and never
delivered on their promises about true cross-platform, etc... but I don't
want to start a flame war.

Thanks again for the help,
-Ben