POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Isosurfaces *much* slower in beta 7? : Re: Isosurfaces *much* slower in beta 7? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:15:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurfaces *much* slower in beta 7?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 31 Oct 2001 12:02:43
Message: <3be02eb3@news.povray.org>
In article <3BE02D4D.137B24B5@gmx.de> , Christoph Hormann
<chr### [at] gmxde>  wrote:

> in fact it is documented in one sentence in the isosurface SDL part:
>
> "When using only the evaluate keyword without max_gradient, POV-Ray will
> try
> to estimate a default max_gradient."
>
> I could write some more things concerning 'evaluate' in the isosurface
> tutorial as soon as the code for it is somehow 'definitive', in fact i
> never liked that part as it is now, but i did not feel competent enough to
> write something better.
>
> Would that be a good idea?

Yes, especially because I had always been working on the code assuming there
would be two behaviors.  The one with evaluate and the one without.  Well,
it really turned out to be 2.5 different behaviors.  One was no evaluate and
some max_gradient (or the default one), the second was evaluate with
max_gradient which would simply print the gradient found but ignore the
evaluate parameters, and the last but not least max_gradient being adapted
by the evaluate parameters.  I read the documentation for isosurfaces more
than once, but I never noticed that particular difference until I looked
very closely into the code...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde