POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Isosurfaces *much* slower in beta 7? : Re: Isosurfaces *much* slower in beta 7? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:14:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurfaces *much* slower in beta 7?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 31 Oct 2001 11:46:57
Message: <3be02b01@news.povray.org>
In article <3BE02432.BB253085@gmx.de> , Christoph Hormann
<chr### [at] gmxde>  wrote:

> So there is no difference between specifying max_gradient 1.1 or not now,
> even if you use 'evaluate'?

Yes, but ignore the beta 7 implementation details as they are not complete
yet.  The main idea was to get some feedback on the changes, but of course I
didn't take into account the problem that was left in there.

What is happening is that the "adaptive max_gradient technique" as Mr.
Suzuki calls it, is now always used partially.  Unfortunately this causes
the max_gradient to grow and thus cause the slowdown people report with
evaluate.

> Then one thing wonders me: what's the difference between the first
> parameter of 'evaluate' and the max_gradient value if both are specified?

I have a good idea how the code works, but not what the individual values of
evaluate will exactly do to what surface, if that is what you are asking.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde