POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Isosurfaces *much* slower in beta 7? : Re: Isosurfaces *much* slower in beta 7? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:19:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurfaces *much* slower in beta 7?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 31 Oct 2001 11:27:20
Message: <3be02668@news.povray.org>

Skiba <abx### [at] babilonorg>  wrote:

>>  By the way, what is really good about this new behaviour is that now you
>> can leave the 'evaluate' after you have fixed the 'max_gradient' to the
>> proper value and it will not affect the render (eg. by slowing it).
>
> does it mean correct 'max_gradient' is known/calculated
> before render ????? then can be message about bad value of it
> displayed before render instead after ? or is it just well optimized
> algorithm ?

No, the gradient is calculated while going through the root finding process,
which is used to find intersections.  So finding a good max gradient before
is not (yet) possible.

However, I have been thinking about a "new" evaluate that attempts to guess
a good initial max gradient by shooting a few random rays into the object.
It would basically called "evaluate" again with one parameter specified that
would be the number of rays to shoot (or something close to that).  There
are of course some problems with such an approach (and I am aware of them),
but it would at least improve development speed as full tracing of the
isosurface would no longer be necessary.  Anyway, this change might not be
suitable for 3.5 this late -- it would do more than the current changes
which are fixing long standing problems and inconsistencies...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde