POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Isosurfaces *much* slower in beta 7? : Re: Isosurfaces *much* slower in beta 7? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:19:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurfaces *much* slower in beta 7?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 31 Oct 2001 04:02:51
Message: <3bdfbe3b@news.povray.org>
In article <3bdf9c43@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

> : The workaround is
> : to use "evaluate" only if absolutely necessary.
>
>   Is this phenomenon temporary or has it came to stay?

Workaround usually suggests something temmporary for me.  As far as details
are concerned, after looking a bit closer into the code for "evaluate" it
seems like it is almost redundant:  The parameters you specifc after the
"evaluate" keyword only had a function if no max_gradient was set.
Consequently this would lead to the odd behavior that if and only if the
default max_gradient (which is 1.1) was used, max_gradient itself would be
adjusted.  Unfortunately, due to a logic mistake I kept one of these
modifications of max_gradient also it should have been removed.  I think I
have a fix for this already*.

    Thorsten

* Warp: Do a sync (get change 1235) to try it.

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde