POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Request: Rune's foot placement algorithm ( 0kbbu!) : Request: Rune's foot placement algorithm ( 0kbbu!) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 03:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  Request: Rune's foot placement algorithm ( 0kbbu!)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 30 Oct 2001 22:19:24
Message: <3bdf6dbc$1@news.povray.org>
[As I understand the server, it would be a discourtesy to post big anims
in p.a., but no real harm done to have text discussion in p.b.a.,
right?]

Rune, you were kind enough to share with us your actual code for that
spiral walk you had.  If you have time sometime soon, could you
pseudo-code this (verbal description) for us over-35 types who can't
follow your code?

As an example, here is how I do my feet:
1) An include file is called which has the position of the
"toeballpoint" of the left and right foot in it. This is stored as a
linear spline of <x(=0), y, and z> values as the "clock" goes 0 to 1.0.
2) The position of the knee is calculated by IK.
3) The rotation (FK) values required to get knee and toeballpoint at the
desired location are calculated.
4) An include file is called which is the blob body, purely FK in
construction.  The joints rotate according to the defined variables.
5) The body is moved at rate x, while the include file in 1) is moving
the foot backwards at rate x.

With this setup, I can imagine it being really hard, really easy, to
implement a walk cycle along a winding path.
Q's:
i)  Do you absolutely require the foot to stay put, with no rotation
slippage, no matter how sharp the curve??
ii)  How do you do yours?  The huge favor I'm requesting is just the
algo, probably no more detailed than above.  Apologies again for being
so dense as to not understand your code.