POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : windows beta 7 available : Re: windows beta 7 available Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:29:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: windows beta 7 available
From: Chris Cason
Date: 30 Oct 2001 13:26:25
Message: <3bdef0d1@news.povray.org>
> Also, people need to be aware that actual, real world rendering time (i.e.
> that time we humans actually live by) is wall clock time, not cpu time.  It
> serves no good purpose to tell users "I rendered that image in 37 cpu
> minutes" but not tell them "yeah it took 6 hours of real, human time"

... which is why the render time display still shows wall clock time, and the
CPU time display is hidden off in the message window (where, unless they choose
it instead of an editor window, most people will never see it).

it's also fair to point out that if the CPU time is significantly less than the
wall clock time, the user has a problem that's worth fixing. after all, if the
scene can render in 37 CPU minutes, but it took "6 hours of real, human time",
as you put it, then I think the user ought to be able to know this. Because it
shouldn't happen, and points to a major inefficiency in the OS or scheduler or
whatever. I don't think this should be hidden.

-- Chris