POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Twisted Sunflower (~99kbu) : Re: Twisted Sunflower (~99kbu) Server Time
17 Aug 2024 14:13:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Twisted Sunflower (~99kbu)
From: Redbeard (MDJohnson)
Date: 30 Oct 2001 08:48:24
Message: <3bdeafa8$1@news.povray.org>
"Anton Sherwood" <bro### [at] poboxcom> wrote in message
news:3BD### [at] poboxcom...
> Redbeard wrote
> > This is a fibinocci sunflower pattern done up in blobs [...]
>
> Strange.  If the angle between nodes were 2pi/tau, seems to me the
> `stalks' ought not to be so obvious: the ratio
>
> distance to nearest neighbor / distance to third-nearest
>
> looks too low.  But maybe that's an effect of the blob arguments:
> what are the component radius and threshold?
>
> --
> Anton Sherwood

Actually, the reason the stalks are visible is because of the way the components
are shifted along the z-axis.  I use the following macro to do the shifting:

#macro Z(A,I) #local B = A * (cos(I * 4 + pi / 3) + cos(I * 1.5)) / 4; B #end

where A should probably be better named 'R' for radius, or distance from center,
and I would be better named A, or total angle from center.  I was just playing
around and was rather suprised with the results (as I often am with my work)

Michael