POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Circle_Text macro problem : Re: Circle_Text macro problem Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:22:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Circle_Text macro problem
From: Rune
Date: 24 Oct 2001 08:59:09
Message: <3bd6bb1d@news.povray.org>
"Mike Williams" wrote:
> If we rip out the "|" characters from the TextWidth() macro,
> Together with my previous change, it looks a bit better.

This works perfectly, and so does the spacing option! Thanks!

> In case anyone out there is using TextWidth() directly in
> their scenes, it might be better to give my simplified
> version a different name and use that throughout Circle_Text().

I'm not sure, but I don't really see a reason to preserve the old TextWidth
macro. What can it be used for? You've proved that even the Circle_Text
macro for which it was probably designed works better with the new version,
which is also much simpler. I think I'll simply replace the old TextWidth
macro with the new one (and of course change the comments and documentation
accordingly).

> The current TextWidth() returns the width of the string plus
> possibly some extra space at the ends.

And I haven't yet seen an example where this was in fact needed.

BTW, the comments for Circle_Text says:

"Angle: The point on the circle from which rendering will begin.
The +x direction is 0 and the +y direction is 90 (i.e. this is a
RIGHT HANDED coordinate system."

Does it make sense to talk about a right-handed coordinate system here? I
think not. I'll rephrase it to:

"Angle: The point on the circle from which rendering will begin.
The +x direction is 0 and the +y direction is 90 (i.e. the angle
increases anti-clockwise."

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated June 26)