POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Shadow Play : Re: Shadow Play Server Time
17 Aug 2024 08:20:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shadow Play
From: Batronyx
Date: 21 Oct 2001 12:31:15
Message: <3bd2f853$1@news.povray.org>
"Yadgar" <yad### [at] koh-e-qaisar-observatoryaf> wrote in message
> Batronyx schrieb:
>
> > I was experimenting and came up with this. Anyone care to guess how it was
done?
> > Since there are a number of ways it _could_ have been done I will say it has
> > nothing to do with light groups.
>
> Hmmm... As a not-quite-so-advanced pover, I would assume that you used
no_shadow
> for the green sphere and then overlaid a single properly sized
semi-transparent
> dark leopard spot with fuzzy edges, rotated around the y and x (or z ) axis,
on the
> plane texture!

So far you are the most correct; no_shadow on the sphere, and the backwards
shadow is indeed a texture layered on the plane. However, it isn't leopard, it
is an object pattern texture (from the sphere in fact), blurred according to Ron
Parker's post earlier, "The final word on blurred reflections" which works just
a well on pigments.

I thought this might be a good way for someone to fake soft shadows in Rune's
fast grass macro. It would take more work than I've put in here, but it does
offer possibilities.

^"^