POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : #error bug : Re: #error bug Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:23:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #error bug
From: Rune
Date: 21 Oct 2001 09:20:18
Message: <3bd2cb92@news.povray.org>
"Thorsten Froehlich" wrote:
> No, it takes the string. It just doesn't
> output the contents of the string.

And that's the problem. The documentation clearly says that it's supposed to
take it *and* output it. Once again I quote the same part:

"There are seven distinct text streams that POV-Ray uses for output. You may
output only to three of them."

If you still insist it isn't a bug, then what is the reason that it requires
a string, if the contents of the string isn't used for anything at all? What
is the reasoning behind this "feature"?

From another of your replies:

> Please estimate the probability that a user who
> doesn't know about the #error directive (which is
> in the documentation) will look up the reason for
> an error in the documentation...

I think it's high, but I don't have any statistics to base it on. If you
have I'd be interested in seeing them. If not, then it's pointless to
discuss this.

Instead, you you tell me why the current behavior is less confusing for the
user than the proposed behavior? If we can't find a perfect solution, then
we just ought to take the best available. From here I refer you to the reply
posted by Warp.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated June 26)