POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : #error bug : Re: #error bug Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:22:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #error bug
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 21 Oct 2001 04:22:56
Message: <3bd285e0@news.povray.org>
In article <3bd21d93@news.povray.org> , "Rune" <run### [at] mobilixnetdk>
wrote:

>> No, because the documentation never says that the
>> #error string is printed to the #error stream
>
> Yes it does.
>
> "There are seven distinct text streams that POV-Ray uses for output. You may
> output only to three of them."

You generate output to the error stream in form of the line quoted by the
"<-- Error" message which dumps the line with the error message.  And note
that the documentation says nothing about actually outputting the string
behind the error message.  In fact after reading it several times I get the
impression the documentation is doing more than just explain the use of text
streams.  It also tells you what those text streams are and that you get a
parse error when using the #error directive.  It never says there can't be a
render time output with these directives, which of course is nonsense.

> If the error directive is supposed to only accept quoted text, but not
> pre-defined strings, then there's a bug because it does accept pre-defined
> strings.

No, because the documentation and the behavior of POV-Ray match in all clear
areas of the documentation.  As the documentation is not clear what happens
with the output, it is up to the user interpretation.

I do agree with you that the situation needs to be improved.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde