POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Birdbath : Re: Birdbath Server Time
17 Aug 2024 08:24:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Birdbath
From: Redbeard (MDJohnson)
Date: 20 Oct 2001 19:13:18
Message: <3bd2050e@news.povray.org>
"25ct" <25c### [at] lineonenet> wrote in message news:3bd1bc83@news.povray.org...
>   Hi folks,
>
>                 haven't been around for a while, I've been glued to this
> scene and I guess it's my first serious try, (learnt a lot from doing this
> one).
>
>   Firstly, it's a 3.1 scene, but when I rendered it in 3.5 b6 it turned out
> a lot darker than the 3.1 render, any idea's why?

If you're using radiosity, I think it was changed in 3.5b in such a way that it
would darken the scene, depending on settings.  That's the only thing I can
think of that would cause the difference.  Of course, I'm no expert.  I just
started playing with radiosity a few days ago.

>       Secondly, having said that, this is the 3.1 image.
>
>      A few questions if I may.
>
>  1)  How can I get a nice glow around the street lamp emanating downwards?
>
> 2)  I'd also like to get the headlights on the cars coming down the valley
> to 'beam'.
>       Any idea's?

See Malhalis's reply

> 3)  How do I get 'radial' to work? I tried it on the barrell but couldn't
> get it to work.

Well, first, it wraps around the y-axis.  Which I assume you're trying to do,
since you're talking about the barrels.  Second, in order to get multiple
stripes, you need to use the frequency keyword with the number of boards in the
barrel as a parameter.  Then play with the settings until you get what you'd
like.

A real simple example (see attached image):
cylinder
{
    0, y * 5, 2.5

    pigment
    {
        radial
        color_map
        {
            [0.1 rgb 0.25] // Gray
            [0.1 rgb x] // Red
        }
        frequency 10
    }
}

plane { y, 0 pigment { checker rgb <0.5,0.5,0>, rgb <0.6,0.2,0.2> } }

camera { location <0,3,-10> look_at y * 2.5 }
light_source { <100,150,-200> rgb 1 }

>      What am I missing here? Also, what can I use to put the 'bands' on the
> barrell?
>      I believe that there are two (from memory)?
To make the bands, I would scale the barrel slightly larger and cut slices out
with planes.  You can make the bands only as thick as the metal (instead of
going all the way through the barrel) by differencing the barrel out.

>     Anyway, hope you like it and comments are always welcome.
>
>     ~Steve~

I like the composition.  The textures need some refining, I think.  The house
looks very rough.  The tiles need some separation from the grout, probably a
normal of some sort, at least.  And for some reason the birdbath reminds me of a
cocktail glass.

It shows lots of promise, though

Michael

--
#macro M(D,J)text{ttf"cyrvetic.ttf"D 1,0translate-J}#end#macro N(E,K)#local A=
M(E,K)light_source{-z*30rgb 1projected_through{A}}#end N("Michael"<1.6,-.2,5>)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'radialtest.jpg' (8 KB)

Preview of image 'radialtest.jpg'