POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : #error bug : Re: #error bug Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:28:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #error bug
From: Redbeard (MDJohnson)
Date: 20 Oct 2001 09:39:16
Message: <3bd17e84@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote in message
> "Thorsten Froehlich" wrote:
> > This is a documentation problem IMO.  As the error is
> > "caused" by the user POV-Ray should really not print it
> > out because this would make it look like _POV-Ray_
> > generated the error, which is not true.
>
> What???
>
> So does it also look like POV-Ray is making all #debug and #warning
> messages?
>
> I don't get your reasoning. Please tell me again why creators of include
> files should not have the ability to output an instructive error message to
> the user. The pane can still say "Parse Error: User error directive hit."
> but it should also print the string so the user can know what the error is.

I concur.  For a while I was writing #warning messages followed by #error to
stop the parse.  But that means two lines of code where one should suffice.

IMO, if #error doesn't print the string it's passed, it shouldn't require a
string.  So, either the requirement should be used or the string should be
printed after being parsed.

BTW, if you omit the string, the following error occurs:
File: C:\My Documents\POVRay\Test\error.pov  Line: 1
#error

 <----ERROR

Parse Error: Expected 'string expression', End of File found instead

Returned from renderer with error status

Michael