POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Mangled UV coke cans (48kbu) : Mangled UV coke cans (48kbu) Server Time
17 Aug 2024 08:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  Mangled UV coke cans (48kbu)
From: Alan Holding
Date: 18 Oct 2001 19:00:14
Message: <3bcf5efe@news.povray.org>
Further to me talking to myself in povray.off-topic...

With the image of the coke cans previously posted in this group, I'd figured
out how to use Steve Cox's UV Mapper to texture meshes which I could then
import into POV and render.

What I really wanted was to distort the mesh's geometry in another program,
but not destroy it's UV map in the process.

I found a program called Anim8tor which can edit meshes (among other things)
and import and export Wavefront format objects, which are the type UV Mapper
understands.

What I did:

1. Opened the coke can in UV Mapper and made a map (using a number of
materials), then saved it out as a Wavefront file.

2. I imported that file into Anim8tor, messed it up using lots of
'modifiers', and exported it back out.

3. I then had to open up the modified mesh in UV Mapper because even though
Anim8tor had not messed up the UV co-ordinates, it had destroyed the
material assignments of the UV map.  Once those were 'reset' I saved the
object again, then used 3DWin to convert the Wavefront file to a POV 3.5
include file.

4. I did steps 2-3 twice more, then made a POV scene to get the attached
image, which also shows the original mesh (on the left).

The results are a bit crude - it was a rush job, guvnor! - but I got what I
wanted.

You can get Anim8tor here: www.anim8tor.com.

Bye,
Alan.