POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Bug in the installler [Win] : Re: Bug in the installler [Win] Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:15:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug in the installler [Win]
From: Redbeard (MDJohnson)
Date: 17 Oct 2001 22:37:08
Message: <3bce4054@news.povray.org>

> > POV-Ray 3.5b6 (and previous) Win98SE, PIII733, 160MB
> >
> > If installed on the root of a drive, re-installing adds an extra backslash.
> > E.g. "d:\\POV-Ray for Windows 3.5" instead of "d:\POV-Ray for Windows 3.5".
> > The installer then fails since it cannot find that directory.
>
> I can't replicate this problem. Are you sure you didn't accidentally type in
an
> extra '\' ? (it gets the alternate path from you, not from the registry).
>
> -- Chris

I first installed beta 4 on this machine, and installed it off the root of the D
drive.  Every subsequent install of a new beta has filled in "d:\\POV-Ray for
Windows 3.5" for me.  The first time (beta 5) I questioned it but tried it
anyway.  When it started with the backup it failed (gracefully).  So I went back
and removed the extra slash.  When I installed 6 it did the same thing.  To test
it, I tried the install anyway.  It failed this time, too.  I installed it in
the default location on this machine, and have had no problems.  I can probably
try installing it off the root of another of the drives on this machine to see
if I can duplicate it.

Michael

PS - Great work!  3.5 is turning out to be very nice.