POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : while bug ? : Re: while bug ? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:32:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: while bug ?
From: Trevor Quayle
Date: 15 Oct 2001 10:15:02
Message: <3bcaef66$1@news.povray.org>
This is correct.  10^n is 10^n no matter where you are, it is a (as far as
we know) universal constant.  The problem comes with terminology.  A
"thousand" is the same in US/UK (10^3), so is a "million" (10^6) and,
therefore, so would a "thousand million"  (10^3 x 10^6 = 10^9), but in the
US a "thousand million" is also known as a "billion" but not so in the UK,
it is still a "thousand million" (Or also a "milliard").  The UK reserve the
word "billion" to describe a "million million" (which is known as "trillion"
in the US).  Also, a UK "trillion" is a "million million  million" (quite
the mouthful) or 10^18 ("million"^3, "quadrillion" = "million"^4, etc.). All
in all, it is always better to use scientific notation so as to keep
confusion about such large numbers to a minimum when talking to an
international audience.

-tgq