POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Can POV make use of 48 bpp color images as detailed height fields? : Re: Can POV make use of 48 bpp color images as detailed height fields? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:15:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can POV make use of 48 bpp color images as detailed height fields?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 12 Oct 2001 05:30:36
Message: <3bc6b83c@news.povray.org>
In article <lFvGO8=N87Ecf8A=H0iK3LSb+WfL@4ax.com> , Glen Berry
<7no### [at] ezwvcom>  wrote:

> We all know that 24 bit images can be used for height fields, but I
> was wondering if 48 bit images could also be used for height fields,
> and if they would give less of the "terracing" or "banding" effects
> that 24 bit files sometimes give?
>
> Of course, I also have to find a way to create 48 bpp images in a
> format that POV-Ray can actually read, but I'll eventually figure that
> one out. For now, I just want to know if there is any advantage to 48
> bpp images, when used as height fields?
>
> Just in case anyone is tempted to do so, please don't tell me to read
> the POV 3.5 docs, because I can't at the moment.

You should be able to use 16-bit grayscale PNG images.  You can also use
48-bit per pixel (16-bit per color component) PNG images of which only the
read channel will be used. As for a program that creates this kind of PNG
images (also they are standard), I don't know except for POV-Ray itself.

And of course the old format using the red and green color component of
8-bit per color component images is still available as well.  I think there
are a few (ancient) programs out there that support this format, but I don't
know where to get those either.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde