POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : new isofun : Re: new isofun Server Time
17 Aug 2024 18:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: new isofun
From: R  Suzuki
Date: 10 Oct 2001 05:40:52
Message: <3bc417a4@news.povray.org>
"Ruy" <ruy### [at] hipernetcombr> wrote in message
> I just did, it too the same Celeron 600MHz 128MB RAM I use at work, at
> 1024x768 AA0.3, just 2h14m53s, as opposed to 7h8m27s I got with the
previous
> version of the equation, or only 31.5% of those 7+ hours.
>
> I haven't taken the time to study both equations, so excuse me for being
> lazy and asking the question: how come?

Sorry for the late reply.

The best function for "isosurface" (the method 2 in MEGA POV) is a function
which
has constant gradient, for example,  f(x,y,z)=abs(x),
f(x,y,z)=sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2), etc.
 (The function in the POV help file (6.5.4.2) is not the best function for
"isosurface".)

In some cases, you can increase the rendering speed by combining such good
functions.

R. Suzuki