POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Image quality improvements? : Image quality improvements? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:12:57 EDT (-0400)
  Image quality improvements?
From: Angus Mitchell
Date: 10 Oct 2001 01:52:49
Message: <3bc3e006.1080244@news.povray.org>
I haven't been playing with the 3.5 beta because I'm really not much
of a beta tester at heart, and I don't usually like to put my computer
through the uninstall/reinstall loop of time-limited software.

I have a question, though, regarding the images from 3.5 I've seen
posted in p.b.i. -- they seem to be of higher quality than what I see
produced in 3.1.  The radiosity looks better, and the render just seem
to have a crisper, more realistic vibe.

So, has the POV engine - indpendant of the new featues such as
photons, etc - been that drastically enhanced in the render quality
department?  Or is this simply the by-product of top end users who are
most likely to beta test knowing how to tweak the scenes for optimum
prettiness?

I've never seen such pretty spheres on planes until 3.5 was released,
it makes me curious...

Thanks,

Angus