POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Wot? No shadow line artifact? (39kbu) : Re: Wot? No shadow line artifact? (39kbu) Server Time
17 Aug 2024 12:14:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wot? No shadow line artifact? (39kbu)
From: Alan Holding
Date: 9 Oct 2001 13:58:35
Message: <3bc33acb@news.povray.org>
"Mahalis" <don### [at] fakeycom> wrote in message
> The cans look really good- did you get the image_map by rolling a can
across
> a scanner?

Thank you.

Rolling the can across the scanner?  Er...noooo....  (Visions of Alan
sloowwwllly trying to keep with the scanner light... D'oh!)  It comes with
the mesh of the coke can, conveniently enough.  It's on the Household
objects page of the free meshes at www.3dcafe.com.

I adapted the supplied image map in Paint Shop Pro by adding layers of metal
textures and then going beserk with the eraser.  Then I made a grayscale
version of that adapted image and used it as a bump_map in the normal of the
texture.  I was too lazy to do a 'fake' specular map but, as Gilles says
further down this tread, something like that is possible.  (He's obviously
far more patient than I am.)

Sorry for the late reply, but my HD was replaced two days ago and the
friendly engineers forgot to put the drivers back on for everything.  Life
is hard...

Bye,
Alan.
--