POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isosurfaces in v3.5 and how to convert them to heightfields? : Re: Isosurfaces in v3.5 and how to convert them to heightfields? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:26:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurfaces in v3.5 and how to convert them to heightfields?
From: Tom Melly
Date: 9 Oct 2001 12:00:08
Message: <3bc31f08$1@news.povray.org>
"Hugo" <hua### [at] post3teledk> wrote in message news:3bc31497@news.povray.org...
> Hello folks,
>
> I'm no expert in isosurfaces, but I suspect POV 3.5 to be less powerful than
> MegaPOV because it doesn't have the "method" keyword.. I liked method 1 and
> now I am forced to use what appears to be method 2.. So I must specify a
> max_gradient and in most cases I a gradient of over 100 for my shapes to
> render properly.. This is much slower than method 1..

I'd be careful of making assumptions about 3.5 - remember it is still in beta.
That aside, the lack of a keyword to me indicates that the 3.5 is probably
better in this regard than MP, but what would I know?

> I don't know how to solve that.. But sometimes it would also be great to
> convert ISO's to bitmaps so they can be used as heightfields.. I read the

I've also considered a similiar thing - my approach was slightly different. Just
use a gradient pattern on the iso, having scaled it to go from y=0 to y=1. No
lights and ambient 1, then place the camera directly above. This should result
in an image that can be used as a hf...