POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Wot? No shadow line artifact? (39kbu) : Re: Wot? No shadow line artifact? (39kbu) Server Time
17 Aug 2024 12:19:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wot? No shadow line artifact? (39kbu)
From: Batronyx
Date: 9 Oct 2001 00:14:11
Message: <3bc27993@news.povray.org>
"Norbert Kern" <nor### [at] t-onlinede> wrote in message

> "Mahalis" <don### [at] fakeycom> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
> > The cans look really good- did you get the image_map by rolling a can
> across
> > a scanner?
> > The tops look a little too plastic, though- maybe you could get some
> > highlights and reflections in there.
>

> There is a problem with using the method described in the tutorial Alan
> mentioned.
> While it is easy to use an imagemap as pigment and a bumpmap as normal,

> Perhaps in Pov-Ray v. 4?
>
> Norbert

This is the first thing I tried to do when the 3.5 betas started: use pigment
functions to vary the components of a finish statement independently.
Unfortunately, functions aren't dynamic in a finish context. POV3.5 helps some
though with the new image_pattern. You create two nearly identical textures then
pick hi-lo values for the various finish components and use the graymap in the
image_pattern to blend between them. This isn't perfect but at least it is a
vast improvement in memory savings over the 3.1 equivalent of using a
material_map with 256 nearly identical texture entries.