POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Gel simulation : Gel simulation Server Time
20 Jul 2024 03:24:08 EDT (-0400)
  Gel simulation
From: Redbeard (MDJohnson)
Date: 8 Oct 2001 02:30:05
Message: <3bc147ed@news.povray.org>
Hello all.

I've been working on a gel simulation since I figured out what I wanted to try
to do for the IRTC animation topic (which I won't be able to finish in time...
the simulation took too long :( )

I've got it working pretty good.  Here's a sample.  I'd run some more but beta 5
won't run the simulation now and 4 won't run at all :(

The next thing I'm going to try is to drop it on the corner and see what
happens.

Does anyone have any idea how I can make it solid?  I have an 3 dimensional
array of points that need to be connected.  I'd like a 3-d version of triangles,
if that's possible.  I haven't come up with anything I like yet.  Blobs don't
cut it (I want a smooth surface).  I've thought about using intersections of
planes (bounded of course) or sheared boxes, but haven't tried either yet.

Once I'm happy with it, I'll release the code at p.b.s-f, but it may be a while.

Incidentally, total render time for 201 frames at 512x384, no AA was just over 2
hours on my Athlon 700.  The number of frames here was cut to 139, which
VideoMach expanded to get the timing matched with MPEG.  I also reduced the
resolution in VideoMach.  Oh, and the filename means that gravity was set to 1,
the "spring constant" was set to 8, and cylinders were used to render it.  Just
so I can keep track of the different versions (all previous ones had K too low
and blew up)

Comments?  Questions?  Flames?

Michael
--
#declare R=<8,4,.6>/3;#declare C=function{pattern{object{text{ttf"crystal.ttf"
"MDJ"1,0translate-R/4}}}}camera{location-z*30}box{-R,R pigment{rgbf 1}interior

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'Gel G1 K8 cyl.mpg' (614 KB)