POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : [Bug?] Radiosity, recursion > 1 : Re: [Bug?] Radiosity, recursion > 1 Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:35:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [Bug?] Radiosity, recursion > 1
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 7 Oct 2001 14:50:15
Message: <3bc0a3e7$1@news.povray.org>
"Michael Andrews" <M.C### [at] readingacuk> wrote...

> With recursion_limit 2 or higher a simple ambient sphere in a box
> produces a very strange illumination.
>
> If you run the appended script you will see very distinct vertical and
> horizontal bright bands on the surfaces, of the same width as the
> sphere.

I can confirm this as a bug.  It will be fixed in a future beta.  (The fix
will probably not be included in beta 5, which should be out very shortly,
but should be in beta 6.)

For those who want details:  The problem was with two static vectors (n2 and
n3) in the radiosity code.  I converted them to local variables (moved them
inside the scope of ra_gather) and the problem disappeared.  I also removed
vector nn3 since it was unused.

-Nathan