POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Car WIP 4 : Re: Car WIP 4 Server Time
17 Aug 2024 14:16:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Car WIP 4
From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 3 Oct 2001 01:48:46
Message: <3bbaa6be@news.povray.org>
"JRG" <jrg### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message news:3bba348f@news.povray.org...
> To me, a heightfield is the best choise here. Have you ever seen what some
> people (Jaime Vives Piqueres) can do with heightfields? They're fast,
> efficient and, why not, quite precise. I'm quite sure one could make a whole
> scene just with heightfields!

Well, it maybe fine for the number-plates. In the past I've tried doing shiny
round objects with heightfields, but it had a course matt finish, even with
hi-res bitmaps and the best settings to my knowledge. Maybe you can tell me how
to do smooth round objects with heightfields? I remember the first thing I
thought of when I heard of height-fields was doing a face.

- Nekar