POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Raising Negative Numbers to a Power : Re: Raising Negative Numbers to a Power Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:27:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Raising Negative Numbers to a Power
From: Redbeard (MDJohnson)
Date: 2 Oct 2001 23:31:17
Message: <3bba8685@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

> My very cheap little Casio fx-82 can do these correctly:
>
> 1 +/- ^ 3 = ^ 3 1/x =
> Result: -1
>
> 0.1 +/- ^ 3 = ^ 3 1/x =
> Result: -0.1
>

> Tor Olav

However, calculators are usually set up to do math like people (base 10)
while computers are set up to do math . . . well, like computers (base 2).
So unless we want to set the computer up to do base 10 math (BCD, fixed
point bigints, etc), which is slow for a computer, we have to live with
inaccuracies that we humans sometimes have problems understanding :(

Michael