POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Known Bugs Oct 01 : Re: Known Bugs Oct 01 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:21:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Known Bugs Oct 01
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 2 Oct 2001 05:13:02
Message: <3bb9851e@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams schrieb in Nachricht ...

>I also don't believe that anyone has actually produced any evidence that
>the effect is related to the crackle pattern. Whatever is causing it is
>quite rare and it just happen by chance that the only scene file that
>provokes the disappearance contains crackle.

IMO it is not directly related with the crackle function, cause I had
similar effects with other functions in MegaPov. I don't know for sure, but
I think all it need's is a somewhat complicate function (pigment functions
may help a lot) and a insufficient accuracy value. I remember one Iso which
used a brick-pigment-function and showed the same effect. Increasing the
accuracy always helped.
I think, it's often necessary to set the accuracy value quite low to get
reliable results. That makes things quite slow, but I can't consider this as
a bug.
What is really strange, is that removing those three blank lines in the
example code you provided changed the output! Thorsten might not want to
hear this (:-)), but there is a definitive relation between these to thing!

So IMO, it is worth having another look at the isosurface code, if there is
any time left, but I think to consider the mentioned behaviour a real bug,
there should be more evidences that it is not just an accuracy problem. But
as I'm not a programmer, it's not at all my decision.

Marc-Hendrik