POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : bug: select within select : Re: bug: select within select Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:22:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bug: select within select
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 1 Oct 2001 14:29:58
Message: <3bb8b626$1@news.povray.org>
In article <C5f### [at] econymdemoncouk> , Mike Williams
<mik### [at] nospamplease>  wrote:

> I confirm the numbers, but I don't think it's anything to do with the
> nesting of selects.
>
> If you change to noise generator 1, the numbers come out even. It looks
> to me like there's a subtlety in noise type 3 that causes
> f_noise3d(integer, integer, 0) to always be greater than 1/3. I really
> don't see that as being a problem because you shouldn't really expect
> noise3d to be a random number generator.

Thank you for finding this!  So it is not a bug, but simply the wrong
noise_generator.  There has a lot been written about the old/default noise
generator's problems, and I guess this is one good example of them.

> [[But, does that actually mean that we don't have a decent random number
> generator that we can use in a function? Rand() is not available inside
> a function block.]]

True, there is none because for such functions it would not be possible to
find the surface (it would be changing every time one calculates the value
at the same spot).

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg