POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Isosurface *disappears* at high resolution (fwd) : Re: Isosurface *disappears* at high resolution (fwd) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:26:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface *disappears* at high resolution (fwd)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 27 Sep 2001 11:33:44
Message: <3bb346d8$1@news.povray.org>
In article <O+WoS### [at] econymdemoncouk> , Mike Williams
<mik### [at] nospamplease>  wrote:

> It almost makes sense. However, if that were the case, then I'd expect
> to see the root solver die on any partial image render that included the
> offending pixel. This is not the case. It wasn't easy to find any
> partial render that exhibited the problem. The smaller partials that
> I've tried, including the area around where it starts to go wrong, don't
> exhibit the problem.

The random number stuff inside POV-Ray can really be complicated sometimes.
I do know that the way you render something can have an effect on the result
with the "more" random patterns.  As I never looked into any part of that
code I do not know what in particular happens for each and every request to
evaluate a pattern at a specific point.  You have to see the random numbers
simply as a stream on numbers.  Every time you start a render you start at a
particular position in the stream (which may or may not be the same, I don't
know).  So, as for every different starting point a different number of
random numbers is requested, the effect changes its position and so on.

Anyway, I am really not the right person to explain how and why patterns
work the way they do...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde