POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : JPEG question : Re: JPEG question Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:15:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG question
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 26 Sep 2001 10:56:22
Message: <3bb1ec96@news.povray.org>
In article <3BB### [at] sycomorefr> , Adrien Beau
<adr### [at] sycomorefr>  wrote:

> First thing to know is, are there many persons suffering from
> this? Right now, from what Thorsten and Ron just wrote, it
> seems more of a mis-configured Photoshop than anything else.
> If lot of people have such problems, it could be time for a
> new entry in the VFAQ (along the lines "there are lots of
> ways to write jpeg files, please try all the settings your
> application has").

No, we actually have reports from other people with different programs that
also cause problem.  The main reason it is so hard to fix is that POV-Ray
actually uses the same JPEG library almost all other free programs use (the
Independent JPEG group's library).  So in theory there should be no problem
at all, but for some odd reason there is.  I have a copy of the JPEG
standard somewhere, and if/when my time permits I do plan to look into it,
but not this week...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde