POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : yet another gamma test (discussed at p.b-t.) [~55KB] : Re: yet another gamma test (discussed at p.b-t.) [~55KB] Server Time
17 Aug 2024 14:12:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: yet another gamma test (discussed at p.b-t.) [~55KB]
From: Bob H
Date: 25 Sep 2001 10:26:35
Message: <3bb0941b$1@news.povray.org>
"Kari Kivisalo" <ray### [at] engineercom> wrote in message

> It's simple. Put _CRT_ display gamma in Display_Gamma and
> assumed_gamma 1 in the scene file. Any other adjustments
> you do in an image editor.

That's just it though, I have never seen a good render here on any of my
computers over these past many years which uses assumed_gamma 1 and with a
Display_Gamma=2.2.  And that might go for any scene files people have
created on a Apple, I couldn't say for sure.  Not just the preview rendered
but the output image as well is always foggy.  I can't imagine that being
needed in order for someone else to see a rendering correctly if redone or
simply viewed on another machine.

Sorry but it's just what I think about it, I never do more than gamma
correct on things (in whatever software has it) to my own preference and I
don't delve into it beyond that.  A lot of people probably do likewise.  A
good grayscale should be the right thing is the way I think of it.
Brightness and contrast (light color and ambient in POV scenes) are obvious
choices for adjusting with instead of gamma but as with the image I posted
here it's comprised of ambient 1 spheres going from rgb 0 to 1.  Only
identical gamma settings look right.

Bob H.