POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : png gamma error : Re: png gamma error Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:30:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: png gamma error
From: Bob H
Date: 24 Sep 2001 13:32:57
Message: <3baf6e49$1@news.povray.org>
"Anders K." <and### [at] f2scom> wrote in message
> > assumed_gamma is (should be) the gamma at which the scene was
> > designed.
>
> Not necessarily -- according to the docs:
>
> "For new scenes, you should use an assumed gamma value of 1.0 as this
models
> how light appears in the real world more realistically."

Yeah, I can't follow that line of reasoning even if it is only because of
what I see when rendering the images.

If you read there about how the MacIntosh or Apple computers Display_Gamma=
should be around 1.8 and PC's around 2.2 I wonder even more about the
statement you quoted.

In the paragraph above that one you brought up:

For PC systems, the most common display gamma is 2.2, while for scenes
created on Macintosh systems should use a scene gamma of 1.8. Another gamma
value that sometimes occurs in scenes is 1.0.

Makes me more confused than ever.  As you can see, it actually is suggestive
of assumed gamma when speaking of the Mac.  Wrong wording?

Bob H.