POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Isosurface CSG shadow problem : Re: Isosurface CSG shadow problem Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:24:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface CSG shadow problem
From: Bob H
Date: 24 Sep 2001 10:26:44
Message: <3baf42a4@news.povray.org>
"Slime" <noo### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> Oh, alright, sorry, I misread "max_trace" as "max_trace_level". Max_trace
> fixed it. But how come in CSG it tests for parts of the isosurface outside
> of what has been cut off from the isosurface? Why doesn't it only test the
> parts of the isosurface that have a chance of being visible?

Heh, my guess would be difficulties in bounding.  A isosurface has been said
to be an elusive thing to trace.  But you also seem to be talking about
Catmull hidden surface stuff, and I don't think POV-Ray does any Catmulling
really.  Not that I actually know anything.  And you might not be talking
about such a thing anyhow.

Bob H.