POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Win2K Start-up Screen (PNG, ~89kau) : Re: Win2K Start-up Screen (PNG, ~89kau) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 10:25:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Win2K Start-up Screen (PNG, ~89kau)
From: Bob H
Date: 22 Sep 2001 01:27:41
Message: <3bac214d@news.povray.org>
"Mahalis" <don### [at] fakeycom> wrote in message
> Is there any way to do this with Win95? I'd really like to replace my
> startup image :-|
> I wish Microsoft would be a bit more creative with their logos- A rippling
> flag on clouds is soooo old.

Simply a matter of creating a 320 X 400 bitmap (bmp) with 256 colors, that
will then stretch when Windows loads it, and putting it in the root
directory.  Win95 ought to be the same as Win98, and I think I must have
changed it when I was using Win95 so I know it is the same.
The file name is Logo.sys, just a renamed bmp.  The shutdown pictures can
also be changed, they're named Logow.sys and Logos.sys located in Windows
folder.

All are hidden system files, you just need to view such files in Explorer
with View settings changed to see them.

A lot of stuff can be found about it, I just did:
http://www.winshareware.com/nonapps/desktop/startup.htm

Bob H.