POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : maketree dummyscene : Re: maketree dummyscene Server Time
17 Aug 2024 14:21:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: maketree dummyscene
From: Batronyx
Date: 21 Sep 2001 17:58:47
Message: <3babb817@news.povray.org>
"Norbert Kern" <nor### [at] t-onlinede> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a silly problem.
> This is a dummy background for my next (hopefully) IRTC entry.
> Problem is memory consumption. This little scene with 6 houses (from Gilles

> are placed and randomly rotated within a while loop) needs whooping 830 MB
> peak memory.
> One single tree consumes only about 21 MB.
> A 3.5 bug?
> Does anybody know more ?
>
> Norbert

Are you using the file output option when generating the tree and including
the file 8 times, or are you calling the macro directly 8 times with identical
parameters? I would expect the latter to consume more memory than the former,
as well as being slower to parse. The arrays and the recursion would eat up
a considerable amount of memory above and beyond the actual objects used in the
trees.

--
Batronyx ^"^
bat### [at] cadronhsacom