POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : First attempt at ripples (your comments,please) : Re: First attempt at ripples (your comments,please) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 05:21:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First attempt at ripples (your comments,please)
From: sshelby
Date: 20 Sep 2001 14:29:39
Message: <3baa3593@news.povray.org>
Greg,
You are probably right. I tried tossing some very tiny pebbles into still
water today to see what happens. It happens so fast that it's hard to tell
with absolute certainty, but what I saw was a tall plume of water where the
pebble went in, then a sort of chaotic jumble of turbulance before the
circular pattern formed. By the time the concentric rings were visable and
moving outward, the center was flat. A collection of stop motion photos of
the real thing would be helpful. The scene I depicted in this animation is
more like what happens when the ripples are generated from below, such as a
fish just barely breaking the surface. I also noticed today that water
beetles moving about on the surface constantly create new rings of ripples,
and the center stays perfectly flat.
Steve