POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another shadow line problem : Re: Another shadow line problem Server Time
17 Aug 2024 16:10:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another shadow line problem
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 17 Sep 2001 19:14:55
Message: <3ba683ef$1@news.povray.org>
"Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote...
>   When testing my glow macro I found another shadow line problem caused by
>   Note that making the light sources area light doesn't smooth the shadow
> line, and this is a true deficiency in povray. Povray performs area light
> calculations for shadow testing, but not for normal-is-away-from-light
tests.

From section 6.5.7.5 of the POV 3.5 docs:
"Rather than performing the complex calculations that would be required to
model a true area light, it is approximated as an array of point light
sources spread out over the area occupied by the light. The array-effect
applies to shadows only. The object's illumination is still that of a point
source."

Maybe somebody will code area-light highlights for POV 4 sometime in the
future.

-Nathan