POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Is the "File Open" dialog box missing a few file types? : Re: Is the "File Open" dialog box missing a few file types? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:31:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is the "File Open" dialog box missing a few file types?
From: Chris Cason
Date: 16 Sep 2001 21:37:34
Message: <3ba553de@news.povray.org>
> Well, it's certainly not more "appropriate" from a users viewpoint,

I disagree. The more file types I add to the drop-down box, the longer
it takes the 99% of users who do not use these additional extensions
(*.xml, *.html, *.java, and all the other types the editor understands)
to scroll through the list of types in the drop-down box to find the one
they want.

From a UI design standpoint, the purpose of this list box is to provide
shortcuts to the most commonly-used extensions; not a complete list of
all possible extensions that the editor may be asked to load.

> If you do this, will you also add support for some of the other
> POV-related file extensions that were left out originally? For
> example, I'm thinking of things like *.cat, *.mcr, *.sph, *.tri

I've already added .mcr since I believe it is becoming fairly common. I
would have te be convinced that a large number of users are editing files
using the other extensions before I added them.

-- Chris