POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Is the "File Open" dialog box missing a few file types? : Re: Is the "File Open" dialog box missing a few file types? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:24:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is the "File Open" dialog box missing a few file types?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 16 Sep 2001 14:08:13
Message: <3ba4ea8d@news.povray.org>
In article <xOGkO6cycku13Et0ri0kghPLk0kD@4ax.com> , Glen Berry
<7no### [at] ezwvcom>  wrote:

> If you do this, will you also add support for some of the other
> POV-related file extensions that were left out originally? For
> example, I'm thinking of things like *.cat, *.mcr, *.sph, *.tri

None of these are in any way supported by POV-Ray (it just reads text files
with whatever extension if you tell it to).  If a user decides to use
different extensions it is simply a problem because some of these are used
by other programs and POV-Ray cannot detect if they are for POV-Ray or not!
In general it is a bad idea to create "your own" file extensions because it
creates all kinds of these problems.

    Thorsten